Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why We Do It

I read an article the other day, and I realized that writing isn't always good... even if it's published... and even if it's published in an important magazine.

(So it's about time I shared some of who I really am with the blogging/writer's world.)

Am I published? No, not as of late.

But I have "finished" a book.

But you should know that in the world of getting a book published, technically, I'm only %25 - %50 done. Agents and editors don't want to read something you've written and not truly edited. That means, when your query hits the door, your book should be a beautiful as it can be.

Mine is not what I want it to be. After letting it stew sweetly for about 6 months, I've realized this. However, 6 months ago, I thought it was amazing. Now... not so much.

So back to my first line, not all published writing is good. I don't want to be that kind of writer that someone reads and wonders why the hell I was published in the first place. So, despite the fact that I have written over 110,000 words in a cohesive story with a cohesive plot, I am not sending it out the door. And I urge others to follow suit. Hopefully, if others do this, we will make all the agents slushpiles a little less gruesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment