Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making Lemonade

I think that the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade," is entirely disregarded way too much... especially by me.... and here's why:

Now, over the past 8 months or so I've been in school, working towards getting a menial degree that proves I'm capable of doing most menial jobs. Thank God for that, right? I know.

Well, as it turns out, school (as with most important endeavors in life) has caused me a great deal of cumbersome stress. (Note that not all stress is bad.) And when I get weighed down by stress, I lose sight of the good and have a tendency to lean more towards bitterness and sarcasm. And seeing as I am pretty sarcastic and flippantly bitter enough, it's fair to say when I'm stressed I'm a bit too much to handle.

I typically explode like a pressure cooker would with too many ingredients to hold. One of the wonderful ladies who helps me with all my hassles with school tells me that my tea kettle is boiling over.

Today, I found out that someone did something with the intent of a.) distancing themselves from this explosion or b.) to piss me off. I've given them the benefit of the doubt and have told myself they are just "ducking and covering" in all ways possible. I surely can't blame them for that.

But... low and behold....
Something amazing happened! While I was stewing over the fact that they had purposefully removed one of life little pleasures from me (I had been borrowing something), I realized I could just get my own. Yes, I'd have to spend money, but it really wasn't that much. And now, I have my very own!

What this other person didn't realize is that the lemons they gave me I used to make the sweetest lemonade. So I'm sitting here wondering how many more of the lemons being pelted at me could be used for lemonade? All this freedom to decide!! I'm overcome with joy. (The idea of pelting them with their own lemons has crossed by mind, but I try to preserve my integrity in every way that I can.)

How does this pertain to writing? Well, it's simple. If you're characters are getting lemons, then it's called plot. If your book lacks lemons, it's likely you might have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment