Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Fire Pit and Pics and Lame Lines

I committed to building a fire pit, which I did. I intend to use it to fuel my inner fire. I know, a fire pit to fuel an inner fire is a lame line. But you know what? I'm okay with lame lines every now and then. And while I understand that having a public blog, or any website for that matter, is a showcase of your skills as a writer or artist, I also feel that it is a showcase of individual quirkiness. I don't spout out poetic verses when I talk, and I am certainly not trying to when I blog. I offer that as a blanket disclaimer for writers and artists and other bloggers out there... not everything we do is perfect or "artistic".

At times I find myself purposely exposing my flaws. Why? Sure, maybe it will hinder me from signing a book deal, but it holds a truly opposite and good purpose. If an editor or agent or anyone else reads one of my lame lines and disregards me because of it, maybe it's for the better. Wait a minute, I'm sure you're having the same thought I've had so many times before... which is "Why would I ever do anything to make someone not pay me for doing what I love?"

Simple.

Very, very simple.

If my lame lines turn someone off, chances are that editor/agent will not much care for my corny quips in person anymore than in my blog. As a writer, whether I am getting paid (or not) on any particular project, I am my own brand, and I like my life flavored a certain way, a way that calls for some lame lines every now and then. Okay, I'm done with my little rant.

Enjoy the pictures of my beautiful store bought (but pieced together myself) fire pit.

Also, pictures of myself are far from what I normally look like. It's not because I am ugly or insecure or any wayward weird thing that I have. For everyday, I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of gal.  However, by maintaining a level of anonymity, I fully allow myself to be delectably candid.



No comments:

Post a Comment